One question we keep hearing around the B2B sales world is, “Does blogging work for B to B?”. This is because recently, many B2B companies have started catching on to the trend of blogging. Forrester reported that in 2010, 49 percent of B2B companies kept a corporate blog and in 2011, 114 Fortune 500 companies were regularly updating their blogs. So, why are corporations taking part in this social media trend? Because it works!
Here are 12 reasons blogging works in B2B sales:
- Blogging Makes You Human. B2B customers like to interact on a personal level and blogging helps you seem more personable. Blogs can be less formal than e-newsletters or white papers and therefore give you the opportunity to express your humanness and unique personality. By putting out a public and personal face to your customers, you can interact with them on an individual level, motivating more people to purchase your product or service.
- Blogging Gets People to Your Website. In your blog, you should have links that go back to your main website. These links are one of the most effective ways you can drive traffic to your website.
- Blogging Generates Leads. HubSpot recently found that 57 percent of organizations with blogs report having gained new customers through their blogging efforts. Blogging is arguably more effective at generating leads than either Facebook or Twitter.
- Blogging Keeps Your Website Fresh and Relevant. The basic information on your website is likely pretty static. Mission statements and contact information do not change often. However, with a blog, you can give your potential customers a reason to come back repeatedly by mirroring all of your blogs on your website. If a potential leads find something new and fresh every time they visit your site, they are likely to think you are informed and up-to-date on market trends.
- Blogging Improves Search Engine Optimization. Blogs are great for SEO because, unlike your website, each individual blog you write can end up as a separate search result. Having multiple blogs with similar keywords increases the likelihood that you will show up multiple times on a search results page.
- Blogging Synergizes Social Media Efforts. Blogs should have links to your social media sites and vice versa. A recent study found that companies with blogs have two times as many followers on Twitter than companies without blogs. This shows that blogs are an effective means of driving people to your various social media sites.
- Blogging Improves Branding. With a blog, you are able to control the information that goes out to the public. Therefore, you can use a blog to exercise control over your brand image in a way that is impossible on other social media sites.
- Blogging Shows You Are an Expert. Informative or educational blogs can be used to position yourself as an industry expert. If you can demonstrate expertise to your readers, your product or service starts to look much more appealing.
- Blogging Captured Media Interest. If you are successful in positioning yourself as an expert and have something timely or interesting to say, your blog can become news. The media is always looking for the newest, greatest ideas and media coverage of blogs is a great way to expand brand awareness.
- Blogging Provides Feedback and Builds Community. Blogging creates a two-way communication model through the opportunity to leave comments. It is therefore an excellent tool for gaining understanding of your target audience. Comments let you have instant feedback on the blogs you write, allowing you to make constant adjustments to your message based on your readers’ reaction. These comments can then turn into lively conversations, which also can help you build a network of relationships with potential customers and other industry leaders.
- Blogging Distributes News & Information. This is one of the main ways a corporate blog is used. Blogging lets you share news about changes in corporate policy, a new location opening, or information about future seminars or trade shows. Pretty much anything you want your customers to know can go in a blog.
- Blogging Promotes Your Products/Services. You can also use blogging in a purely promotional manner. Similar to writing a press release, you can translate ad copy into a news style article and promote new products, services, promotions and more all through your corporate blog.
If you still need convincing that blogging works for B2B sales or would like to discuss a strategy for creating a corporate blog of your own, please feel free to request a review.